Light Chemical Engineering
Brief IntroductionThe Light Chemical Engineering Program was formed in 1959, and is a characteristic program that offers Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and Ph.D. degrees. It is also a provincial and NEFU key program. More than 60% of our faculty have earned their Ph.D.s, including a group of prominent professors who are second-level professors and New Century Excellent Talents of the Ministry of Education. Nearly half of our faculty have studied abroad. This program, based on chemistry and chemical engineering, focuses on the de-fibering of natural biotic resources, production and comprehensive utilization of paper products, as well as manufacturing of environment-friendly paper products and high value-added functional materials by means of chemistry, machinery and biotechnology. Our program stresses the cultivation of highly qualified versatile talents with solid theoretical foundation, innovative ideas and entrepreneurial capacity in production technology, quality monitoring, engineering design and product development. Characteristics Our program adopts the cultivation mode of “wide scope, solid foundation, huge platform”, which focuses on the mastery of a basic knowledge of chemistry, chemical engineering, machinery, automation and computer science; constructs a specialized knowledge system of light industry, chemical engineering and biomass resources; highlights the significance of practical teaching such as experiments and practice, engineering background, and teaching characteristics, so as to cultivate highly qualified versatile talents with outstanding innovative and entrepreneurial capacity aimed at meeting social demands and development trends. Our graduates can engage in technological management, engineering design, scientific research, product development, analysis and testing and marketing etc. in enterprises or public institutions ranging from papermaking, light industry, chemical engineering, machinery, biomass energy and materials to environmental protection. Students’Prospect
Specialists’ view NEFU’s Light Chemical Engineering Program is characterized by pulp and paper making engineering. Paper is a friend and companion of people, which they cannot live without in their daily life. Papermaking is one of the Four Great Inventions of Ancient China. Nowadays, papermaking has undergone tremendous changes and is combined with the essence of a variety of disciplines including chemistry, chemical engineering, forestry, machinery, biology, automation, packaging and printing, information science, and nanotechnology etc., serving as a crucial platform for knowledge expansion, competence enhancement, engineering practice, innovation and entrepreneurship. Modern papermaking enterprises are characterized by large scale, intensive technology, resource recycling and low pollution. Hu Jintao, the former President of China, said that: “I haven’t imagined papermaking enterprises would be like this. Neither have I imagined that such a modernized large-scale papermaking enterprise would be here.” during his inspection of Huatai Group Co., Ltd., an epitome of modern papermaking industry.About the Specialist: Qian Xueren, Second-level Professor, Ph.D. Supervisor, Academic Leader of Pulp and Paper Engineering Discipline, Cross-Century Academic and Technological Leader of Ministry of Forestry, Member of the Editorial Board of China Pulp and Paper Magazines Publishers, Member of the Academic Committee of the Key Laboratory of Pulp and Paper Science and Technology of the Ministry of EducationStudents’ ViewLight Chemical Engineering is an NEFU characteristic program, which offers basic courses such as Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Mechanical Design, Chemistry of Plant Fiber, and Principles of Chemical Engineering and stresses practical teaching and cultivation of students’ independent study capacity and practical skills. Through four years’ study, students can lay a solid specialized foundation; foster excellent professional quality and capability; systematically master basic theories of fundamental specialized courses, technological process, specialized knowledge as well as basic skills of experiments and practices; be equipped with the capability to fulfill analytical, testing and quality control practice and develop innovative and entrepreneurial capacity and concepts. During the university years, there are a multitude of opportunities to attend academic lectures and exchanges, which provide a platform for students to freely present their ideas. Students can also take an active part in the research projects conducted by our faculty at different levels as well as collaborative projects with large-sized enterprises, in which they can greatly foster and practice their research capability. Furthermore, our program keeps long-term exchanges and collaborations with associated universities at home and abroad so as to provide students with opportunities to go abroad for exchange or study. Students can apply for exchange programs during their undergraduate years, or acquire the opportunity to study abroad after graduation. Our graduates have bright career prospects and outstanding competitive edge in society.
- 10.53% of 2016 graduates have been recommended to be postgraduates without examination. In addition to NEFU, they have gained admission to renowned institutions of higher learning in China, all of which are “Project 985” universities, including Zhejiang University, South China University of Technology, Jilin University and Harbin Institute of Technology.
- 13.16% of 2016 graduates passed the Postgraduate Entrance Examination. Apart from NEFU, they have been admitted to East China University of Science and Technology, China University of Petroleum, Chinese Academy of Science and Jiangnan University etc.
- 1graduate has gone abroad for further education.
- The employment rate of 2016 graduates is 94.73%. Most of our graduates have been employed in a wide range of fields, placed in important positions and complimented by employers, which include Ningbo Fotile Kitchenware Co., Ltd., IKEA Manufacturing (Dalian) Co., Ltd., and Beijing Homelink Real Estate Co., Ltd., etc.
- Above all, 23.68% of 2016 graduates have obtained admission to graduate schools of “Project 985” universities in addition to NEFU. The employment rate is 94.73%. Our graduates are employed by well-known enterprises in China, including Fortune Global 500 corporations, which are Zhonghua Paper Co., Ltd., Yueyang Forest & Paper Co., Ltd., Tongchuan Bureau of Agriculture and Forestry, Dalian Wanda Group Co., Ltd., Suzhou Runqi Chemical Engineering Co., Ltd., China State Construction Engineering Corporation, IKEA Manufacturing, Deppon Logistics Co., Ltd., BYD Company Ltd., Bank of China and China Post etc.