The program aims to cultivate advanced research talents who possess innovative thinking and ability, excellent humanistic qualities, scientific and technological qualities, a solid theoretical knowledge and practical skills in chemical composition, nature, chemical (or biochemical) conversion and utilization applied to the wood and forest products. They have an international outlook, the ability to participate in international cooperation and communication about the science and technology of international agricultural and forestry and can engage in the applied research and development in the Chemical Industry of Forest Products and related fields of enterprises and institutions.
1. Renewable biomass resources such as agricultural and forestry waste are chosen as raw materials to obtain energy, materials, and chemicals through chemical production to meet the developing demands of China and even the whole world
2. It is a key program of Heilongjiang province, a characteristic program of the Ministry of Education and a reforming program for national top-notch innovative excellent talents in agriculture and forestry. Chemical Industry of Forest Products Processing Engineering is a national key discipline, supported by the “985 Innovative Platforms”.
3. The “Deeping foundation and important practice” is the basic characteristics of personnel training. Major attention is given to develop the students’ innovative and practical ability, to cultivate ability to apply theory to practice, and to analyze and solve problems. Taking the training mode of “3+1”, the cooperation platform for talents in the universities and research institution, where students spend 3 years in school study and 1 years in the research platform for training and their graduate thesis .
4. The faculty have a high academic level, lean operations, and a youthful and cooperative spirit. There is 1 Chang Jiang Scholar and candidate for New Century Talents Project among the full-time teachers. One ranks as Distinguished Professor of Longjiang Scholar, two were awarded Excellent Young Scientists Foundation of Heilongjiang Province, and three are New Century Excellent Talents. 50% of teachers have the experience of cooperating with developed countries like the United States, Canada, Japan and others.
5. Relying on the Key Laboratory on biomass materials science and technology of the Ministry of Education, sufficient scientific research funds and the support from Key Laboratory of Heilongjiang Province have provided students a solid guarantee to carry out scientific research and training.
6. Students are encouraged and supported to participate in international communication and cooperation actively. Famous overseas scholars are invited to deliver speeches for students to guide them to engage in scientific research training, broaden their international view, and enhance their ability to participate in the international communication and cooperation in science and technology of agriculture and forestry.
1. In 2016, 28.89% graduates were recommended as postgraduates. The target universities include Zhejiang University, Sichuan University, Harbin Institute of Technology, Hunan University, East China University of Science and Technology, etc.
2. In 2016, 4.44% graduates passed entrance examination for postgraduates and all enrolled in “985” or “211” universities.
3. In 2016, one graduate went abroad.
4. In 2016, 95.56% graduates were employed, mainly located in first-level or second-level cities like Shanghai and Beijing. They mostly work in sme domestic well-known enterprises like OPPEIN, SUNON, Norveco, Guangzhou Liby, etc.
5. In summary, in 2016, 33.3% graduates continued study, and all enrolled in “985” universities other than NEFU; 95.56% graduates obtained jobs, working in domestic well-known enterprises companies including some of the world’s top 500 enterprises.
The Chemical Industry of Forest Products regards the “ deep foundation, important practice, strong ability, outstanding personality, and great responsibility” as the training principles, pays attention to training students’ ability of operation, scientific research practice, and innovative ability, and cultivates their ability to analyze and solve problem with the knowledge. A High proportion of students participated in sci-tech activities, so as to develop their innovative spirit and practical ability. Students possess great Ideological and cultural qualities, a solid theoretical foundation and excellent basic skills. During the half-century of development, the program has made great contributions towards making the chemical industry of forest products the pillar industry of forestry industry and the construction of the national economy by producing a large number of senior professional talents. At present, with the increase of international fossil resource crises and people’s awareness of environmental protection, it is an unprecedented opportunity for the scientific research to process the renewable biomass resources for energy, materials, and chemicals.
About the Specialist
As a professor, Doctoral supervisor, and dean, Liu Shouxin is the distinguished professor of Chang Jiang Scholar, ranked in the Ten Outstanding youth in Heilongjiang Province, candidate of New Century Talents. He was awarded the Science and Technology Award for Chinese Youth, Outstanding Youth Fund of Heilongjiang Province, Ten outstanding Young Entrepreneurs Award of Heilongjiang Province，Science and Technology award on Forestry for Chinese Youth, Huo Yingdong Prize, rewarding the special government allowances of the state council. He won the first prize of the Provincial Award for Natural Science in 2012, the second prize of the Ministry of Education Award in Natural Science in 2013, and the first prize in the first Liangxi Excellent Paper Award.
The Chemical Industry of Forest Products closely connects with forestry development and economic construction, with a good prospect in the current context of global resource shortages. Students should realize the essential roles that the chemical industry of forest plays in utilizing plant resources efficiently and reducing the crisis of plant resources, and further study combining personal plan. In the college life, there are compulsory courses in chemical engineering including 4 chemistry courses, and chemical principles supported by some characteristic courses like wood chemistry, chemistry and technology of forest products, to enable students to establish a complete theoretical system. Special attention is paid to professional practice. In addition to the basic experiments and curriculum design, students are encouraged to participate in research training projects to enhance their ability of analyzing and solving problems in collecting journal papers, exploring experimental plans, handling with characterization test, collecting and analyzing the data, writing papers, applying for patents and other processes.